Tuesday, June 19, 2018

The Girl's Guide to Conquering Life: Book Review




Two posts in one day? Yes, because this is my last day to post a review for my Revell review book! xP {which I happen to not be done reading yet....... oops}





MY REVIEW

The Girl's Guide to Conquering Life, by Erica and Jonathan Catherman, is a book of basic how-to's for girls of a broad range of ages. Some tips I might say are "for dummies", others may be lesser known\practiced. My apologies, but I slacked a lot on reading this book, and have not completed it yet, as of writing this review. I'm not a huge non-fiction reader, so perhaps that is why I haven't fond this all-that interesting. But I really should have made a point to read some of it every day. My bad.

The Pros:

This book has some good and helpful how-to's. How to leave a tip, how to apply for a job, how to change a tire, etc. The chapters cover: Guys & Dating, Social Skills & Manners, Work & Ethics, Wealth & Money Management, Health & Beauty, Clothes & Fashion, Sports & Recreation, Cars & Driving, Food & Cooking, and Tools & Fix-it. So there is definitely some great information in here, especially for a lesser-informed girl. I also really like the cover of the book, and the inside illustrations and layout. :)

The Cons:

Like I said, I wasn't super interested. But that's probably just me. :P Another thing I didn't like was the "modern woman" ideas. There is one on how to ask a guy out on a first date. I don't think the girl should ask the guys out. Also the insinuation the authors give that a guy always paying for a date is old-fashioned. Whattt?? I want a guy to be chivalrous. And I want him to pay for the date, open the door for me, and all that because, yes, I'm a girl. The roles of men and women are not the same, people, and for a guy to act a certain way around you because you're a woman does not mean he thinks you are lesser than him, or that you are weak. There may be some men who think this, perhaps, but definitely not all!
I also thought it was weird that they used a Michelle Obama quote in the book?? I just wouldn't use her for advice. ;)


All in all, this could be a good resource for girls who want to know the basic information on how to outwardly do well in life. :) Young and older girls\young women alike could benefit from this book.





2 comments:

  1. Lol Natasha, isn’t it the scariest thing ever when you get that email from Revell?? I should read this just for a laugh heehee!! Great review girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm glad I get to chose what I review... even if I kinda regret it, like with this one. ;P It wasn't SO bad, just not interesting enough for me I guess.
      Thanks! :)

      Delete